The Kent Haruf Memorial Writing Scholarship is open to junior and senior high school students in Chaffee and Fremont Counties, Colorado. Awards are given for excellence in fiction and creative non-fiction writing. Students must be previously unpublished writers to participate. Writers may apply in one of four areas: Short Story, Novel Excerpt/Novella, Creative Nonfiction, and Playwriting.
Once you’ve completed the application form below, email your entry as an attachment in Word format (only) to:
Entries that do not have a matching application form will be excluded from consideration. All entries will be critiqued by our committee of judges and returned to you with comments and suggestions after the finalist(s) have been announced. One entry per person. Entry and registration must be received by March 1, 2020. Shortlist of finalists to be announced March 20, 2020.
We accept the following entries:
- Short Story
- Novel Excerpt
- Creative Non-Fiction
Please, no genre fiction, fan fiction, romance, science fiction, or fantasy. Entries in these categories will be automatically disqualified.
All entries must follow standard industry formatting guidelines as provided below:
- 12 point font
- Double spaced
- Times New Roman, black ink only
- 1″ margins on all four sides of the page
- Left-justified with a ragged right margin
- Title of Entry and Page Number ONLY in the HEADER (no self-identifying information anywhere on your entry. That’s what the application form is for.)
- 20 total pages
- Please do not submit additional pages (such as a synopsis, summary or a description of what your entry is about. All additional pages count toward your 20 total pages.)
Edit, proofread, do your best work, and good luck! 🙂
2020 APPLICATION FORM: